Because I've been a bit remiss in documenting my kiwi adventure, I think I'll describe the first half of my trip in Haiku form:
Departure delayed
Taxi-ed around LAX
Long flight not too bad
Sprinted to Jetstar
Rainy day in Wellington
Saw museum and gardens
Wet, rainy morning
Ferry took us to more rain
Drove into sunset
...ok, this is getting a bit tiring...back to normal prose:
After the beautiful sunset over the Tasman Bay, we arrived at our first hostel, the Barn. It didn't look much like a barn, but it was comfortable, and in a very pretty area on the edge of Abel Tasman National Park. We had underestimated the amount of time it would take to drive on the windy New Zealand highways, so we didn't get to spend any time in Abel Tasman park. So, we spent the next two days driving almost the entire day before arriving in Wanaka for our WWOOF experience. The scenery was gorgeous, and I took a ton of pictures out of the window of the car, but we didn't have time to stop and enjoy it very frequently (with the exception of Pancake Rocks and Franz Josef Glacier). When we finally arrived in Wanaka, we discovered that the town is completely overrun by snowboarders at this time of year, and were lucky to grab the last room available in one of the hostels - a small shed separate from the main building, known as the "love shack". Bonnie and I have pictures to illustrate the decor of the shack - it was worth a good laugh when we arrived.
The past week, we have been WWOOFing at a farm just outside of the main town of Wanaka with a very friendly family. While we were there, we moved dirt into the raised garden beds, weeded, dug potatoes, turned over soil, chased chickens, bonded with cows, were entertained by the antics of children, discussed philosophy, psychology, and food, and nearly put on a puppet show. An excellent week. We also decided to stay an extra day so that we could go skiing midweek, and I am very glad that we did that - the conditions were great, and Bonnie and I both did quite well, and were racing each other down the slopes by the end of the day.
Now, we are in Queenstown, taking a rest day and waiting for the bad weather to pass before we head over to Milford Sound. Stay posted for more pictures!
Friday, July 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment